How your personal information may be used.
Use of personal information under EU data protection laws must be justified under one of a number of legal grounds and we are required to set out the grounds in respect of each use in this policy. An explanation of the scope of the grounds available can be found here.
The main uses of your information are:
Customer Support and Marketing - to respond to enquiries and to bring you news and offers.
BMW UK and BMW FS use your personal data for customer care and for personalised communication of BMW Group product and service information, where necessary with your consent. For these purposes, BMW UK may transmit this data to authorised Retailers and other BMW Group companies.
In order to ensure that you receive relevant and personalised communications, we will use your data to create an individual customer profile and we may share your personal data between BMW Group companies, authorised BMW or MINI Retailers, BMW i agents and other suppliers of BMW or MINI branded products and services where relevant. This may include data you have provided to these companies, or which is generated by your use of BMW or MINI products, for example contact details, preferences, customer history, vehicle data, app usage and online behaviour.
Vehicle Sales & Service – to process your sale, configure and service your vehicle
BMW, MINI & BMW Motorrad Centres will obtain Contact Details, Vehicle Configuration Details, Vehicle Technical Information and Sales and Services Information when you purchase, service or repair a vehicle from or with them as part of the sale or service and will use it to provide the services you request and notify you of issues in relation to your vehicle. This information may be accessed by BMW UK and BMW AG to troubleshoot technical or other issues relating to the delivery of these services.
The above mentioned controllers may also receive limited Vehicle Location Information during the repair process which will be used only in accordance with Location Information Safeguards. For further information on these safeguards click here.
Vehicle Finance – to assess your eligibility for finance and administer its repayment
When you apply for finance from BMW FS you must provide certain personal information. BMW FS may share the information with Credit Reference and Fraud Prevention Agencies to help them decide whether to offer you finance. Using information about you in this way is necessary for BMW FS to make this decision and if you do not provide it to BMW FS they may not be able to offer you finance. Your information will be used by BMW FS and these agencies as follows:
- BMW FS will check records about you and others held by them and by Credit Reference and Fraud Prevention agencies, for example to assess your application for credit and verify identities to prevent and detect crime and money laundering. The Credit Reference Agencies will place a search footprint on your credit file that may be seen by other lenders. They will supply public information (for example information held on the electoral register) as well as shared credit and fraud prevention information. The Fraud Prevention Agencies will use your personal information to prevent fraud and money-laundering and to verify your identity.
- If you are making a joint application or if you advise BMW FS of a director or that you have a spouse or financial associate, they will link your records together so you must be sure that you have their agreement to disclose information about them. Credit Reference Agencies also link your records together and these links will remain on your and their files until such a time as you, a director or your partner successfully files for a disassociation with the Credit Reference Agencies to break that link.
- If you give BMW FS false or inaccurate information or BMW FS suspect or identify fraud, they will record this and may also pass on the information to Fraud Prevention Agencies and other organisations involved in crime prevention. Law enforcement agencies may also access and use this information. If fraud is detected, you could be refused certain services, finance or employment.
- BMW FS and other organisations may access and use from other countries the information recorded by Fraud Prevention Agencies, which may be publicly-available sources.
- Your data may also be used for other purposes for which you give your permission or, in limited circumstances, when required by law or where permitted under the terms of relevant data protection and privacy law.
If you would like full details about how your information will be used by us, Credit Reference Agencies and Fraud Prevention Agencies, including details of your rights in relation to your information, or you would like to obtain contact details of the Credit Reference and Fraud Prevention Agencies, please: visit www.experian.co.uk/crain or www.equifax.co.uk/crain.
Some applications may be automatically rejected due to our automated credit or anti-fraud filters. Wherever your application is rejected you may explain your position to BMW FS and BMW FS will reconsider the position if the rejection decision was undertaken without human intervention. BMW FS will provide you with general information on why your application has been rejected should the application not be accepted after human intervention.
BMW FS does not share Credit and Anti-Fraud Information with centres, BMW UK or BMW AG
Quality Assurance, Research and Development – to improve our products and services.
BMW AG may use any of the information that it receives through the provision of services to BMW UK, centres (including Location Information) for product and service quality assurance and development purposes. Before any such use is undertaken your information will be de-personalised so it cannot be directly linked back to you.
Compliance with legal requests for your information – to comply with our legal obligations to law enforcement, regulators and the court service.
We may be legally required to provide your information to law enforcement agencies, regulators and courts and third party litigants in connection with proceedings or investigations anywhere in the world. Where permitted, we will direct any such request to you or notify you before responding unless to do so would prejudice the prevention or detection of a crime.
Legal grounds for processing of your personal information.
The use of your information set out above is permitted under EU data protection law on the basis of these principal legal grounds:
- where you have consented to the use (you will have been presented with a consent form in relation to any such use and may withdraw your consent at any time through the BMW Customer Information Centre on 0800 561 0666 (calls are free of charge plus your phone company's access charge)
- or sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- or by writing to us at:
BMW Customer Information Centre
59 - 63 Farnham Road
- where necessary to enter into or perform our contract with you
- where we need to use it to comply with our legal obligations
- where we use it to achieve a legitimate interest and our reasons for using it outweigh any prejudice to your data protection rights (our legitimate interests include promoting the BMW Group business and tailoring news and offers to your profile, research and development of vehicle related products and services, assessing your credit-worthiness, detecting fraud and criminal activities)
- where necessary for us to defend, prosecute or make a claim against you, us or a third party
There may be uses that are permitted on the basis of other grounds; where this is the case we will use reasonable endeavours to identify the ground and communicate it you as soon as possible after becoming aware of the new basis.
Transfer to third parties.
Personal information which we collected may be transferred to third parties on your behalf, only with your consent.
This is only shared in a secure manner, using a consistent security protocol. When we share with other parties we ensure that they only use your personal data for the purpose it was collected and do not allow them to abuse this agreement.
The types of third parties apart from the BMW companies already stated are:
- Marketing agencies who run and manage marketing campaigns on our behalf
- Event companies who run and manage sponsored events on our behalf