Note: for ease of reading the companies are referred to throughout this policy by their Short name.
References in this policy to “BMW Group” “BMW Group UK”, “we” or “us” are references to all of the companies above. These are all registered at this address:
What the BMW Group companies do:
BMW Group provides services through a number of different parties in the UK.
BMW UK coordinates the BMW and MINI business in the UK:
- BMW UK is an importer and distributor of the BMW Group’s brands, of BMW and MINI motor cars and BMW motorcycles in the UK. BMW UK operates under the following trading styles : BMW, MINI, BMW i and BMW Motorrad (motorcycles)
- It is the UK national sales and marketing company for the BMW Group and:
• Appoints Retailers (BMW, MINI and BMW Motorrad Centres) and agents;
• Deals with technical issues and provides support to Retailers; and
• Operates the BMW & MINI digital systems and services.
BMW FS is a financial services company:
- BMW FS provides regulated and unregulated motor finance products, services, and associated general insurance products to customers in the UK through Retailers of BMW Group products and non BMW Group motor dealerships and independent credit brokers. BMW FS operates under the following trading styles: BMW Financial Services, MINI Financial Services, Motorrad Financial Services, Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Financial Services, Aston Martin Financial Services and Alphera. BMW FS is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
- Provides taxation services and advises BMW Group companies in the UK.
Retailers or Retail Centres
- Unless stated otherwise, are independent businesses and not part of the BMW Group;
- They operate using the BMW brands under license to sell and/or service vehicles;
- They provide services to customers and support for technical issues;
- They undertake credit broking and insurance mediation activities; and
- They are not covered by this policy and are referenced here to provide additional clarity regarding your personal information.
BMW as Data Controllers and our responsibilities:
BMW UK is responsible for, and is the Data Controller of your personal information that it receives through all BMW websites (e.g. BMW.co.uk, MINI.co.uk), MyBMW or MyMINI accounts, ConnectedDrive and MINIConnected Services (Connected Services).
BMW FS is the Data Controller of the information which is used to grant and provide finance to you.
Ultimately, BMW AG is the parent company of BMW Group UK and provides much of the IT infrastructure through the above mentioned companies. BMW AG is generally a service provider or Data Processor to the above mentioned parties.
However, BMW AG is in addition the Data Controller for information received through the usage of the Connected App as well as a joint Data Controller for the technical provision of Connected Services.
For more information on our Connected Services visit:
Contact details of each of the Data Controllers listed above and their Data Protection Officers can be found here.