The terms and conditions of the BMW i Warranty listed below must be adhered to. Failure to do so may result in the rejection of a claim or termination of your cover. This does not affect your statutory rights.
- Your warranty may be invalidated if you continue to drive your vehicle when a fault becomes apparent. Any defects must be reported to a BMW i Service Authorised Workshop as quickly as possible. A minor defect corrected now could prevent you from being inconvenienced in the future.
- A BMW i Service Authorised Workshop reserves the right to reject any claim where the cause of the defect is due to non compliance with the service intervals recommended by the Manufacturer and or the Manufacturer’s recommendations for care and maintenance of the vehicle.
- If servicing has been carried out by a Non Authorised Workshop, the BMW i Service Authorised Workshop reserves the right to reject any claim where the cause of the defect is due to inadequate servicing or the use of inadequate parts by the Non Authorised Workshop.
- Your warranty does not cover faults which arise as a result of misuse, negligence, accidents or normal wear and tear.
- Your BMW i vehicle has been designed and built to extremely high standards to achieve optimum performance. Neither the Manufacturer, the BMW i Agent or any BMW Group company in the UK can be held responsible for modifications to the vehicle which lead to defects, unless those modifications have been approved by the Manufacturer, BMW UK or a BMW i Service Authorised Workshop.
- The purpose for which your BMW i was designed and built is as a passenger carrying vehicle utilised under normal driving conditions. This BMW i Warranty does not extend to faults that arise as a result of the vehicle being used for racing, rallying or similar competitive sports.
- Liability for death, bodily injury, or damage to property or any consequential loss, whether arising directly or indirectly from an incident affecting a part covered by this BMW i Warranty, is not included in the BMW i Warranty. This shall not be construed so as to limit or exclude liability for death or personal injury resulting from manufacturing defects or from the negligence of The Manufacturer, or that of their employees or agents. The vehicle owner should ensure that adequate insurance cover for the loss or damage of personal belongings, property etc, has been made.
BMW i Battery Warranty.
The BMW i Warranty includes a BMW i Battery Warranty against failures of the high voltage battery as a result of manufacturing defects. In addition to the BMW i Three Year Unlimited Mileage Warranty, the high voltage battery is warranted for up to 8 years from the date of first registration, or up to 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
The capacity of a lithium-ion high voltage battery naturally decreases over the period of use due to inherent technical reasons (natural wear and tear).
Should a capacity check at a BMW i Service Authorised Workshop within the warranty period mentioned above show that the net battery capacity has dropped below 70% of its original value at delivery of the new BMW i, the portion below 70% will be regarded as excessive capacity loss. This excessive capacity loss will be repaired free of charge under the terms of the BMW i Battery Warranty.
All high voltage battery repairs under warranty must be carried out by a BMW i Service Authorised Workshop.
As per the BMW i Three Year Unlimited Mileage Warranty, the benefits of the BMW i Battery Warranty are fully transferable to subsequent owners of this BMW i vehicle by someone other than an approved BMW i Service Authorised Workshop.
Maintaining your BMW i Battery Warranty.
To maintain your BMW i Battery Warranty, your vehicle must be inspected at the correct service intervals as recommended by your BMW i onboard service indicator system. Checks and remedial work must be carried out, where necessary during those inspections.
Claims cannot be accepted for technical defects or excessive capacity loss caused by an accident or one of the following reasons;
• Your BMW i was operated under conditions for which it was not homologated for, e.g. in a country with different homologation regulations to the one it was originally supplied for.
• Your BMW i was operated abnormally or overstressed, e.g. at competitive motor sports events.
• Parts have been fitted to your BMW i which were not approved by the manufacturer, or your BMW i or parts of it, e.g. software, have been manipulated in a way that was not approved by the manufacturer.
• The instructions on use, maintenance and care of your BMW i vehicle (especially according to the owner’s manual) have not been followed.
• The high voltage battery has been opened or removed from your BMW i vehicle by someone other than an approvedBMW i Service Authorised Workshop.
The paintwork warranty covers your vehicle against defects such as blistering, discolouration or staining of the visible surface of all painted body panels occurring as a result of faulty manufacture or workmanship for a period of 36 months from the date of first registration without any mileage limitation.
All paintwork repaired under warranty must be carried out by a BMW i Service Authorised Workshop.
Maintaining Your Paintwork Warranty.
1. Although modern paints are durable and resistant to many external hazards, they cannot reasonably be expected to be totally resistant to all. You should therefore take particular care with your paintwork if you live in or near an area where industrial fallout is prevalent. Please read the relevant section in your handbook on paintwork for more details.
2. Bird lime can have an extremely corrosive effect on your paintwork and should be removed as quickly as possible.
3. Since damage caused by industrial fallout or bird lime is not a fault of manufacture, this cannot be claimed under warranty.
Twelve Year Anti-Corrosion Warranty.
The BMW i Warranty includes a twelve year anti-corrosion warranty against perforation by corrosion of the body parts.
All repair work carried out under the anti-corrosion warranty must be carried out by a BMW i Service Authorised Workshop.
This warranty does not cover corrosion caused by neglect, accident damage, stone chips or other external influences.
Maintaining Your Twelve Year Anti-Corrosion Warranty.
To maintain your twelve year anti-corrosion warranty, please observe the following guidelines.
1. Your vehicle should be inspected at normal service intervals as recommended by your BMW i onboard service indicator system.
2. Paint or body damage identified by the retailer during these inspections, including any to the underside or underbody protection of the vehicle, must be properly repaired to BMW i standards.
3. Claims cannot be accepted for perforation that occurs as a result of unrepaired or improperly repaired paint or body damage.
4. Vehicles which undergo major accident repair work during the first twelve years of their life remain covered by the warranty provided:
a) The BMW i corrosion prevention methods recommended by the Manufacturer are used.
b) The repair work is carried out by a competent repairer to BMW i repair standards.
5. The warranty does not apply to parts, panels or materials that have not been approved by BMW UK, and the BMW i Service Authorised Workshop reserves the right to refuse claims where defects have occurred as a result of using them.
Routine service adjustments which form part of normal maintenance schedules are not covered by the BMW i Warranty.
Wheel alignment and balancing faults occurring as a result of a manufacturing defect are covered for the first 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
Wiper blade rubber inserts are only covered for manufacturing defects.
Warranty Outside the UK.
Every new BMW i vehicle supplied by a BMW i Agent in the UK carries a 36 month BMW i Warranty. This warranty commences on the original registration date of your vehicle. During the first 24 months, should your vehicle need to be repaired under warranty within the United Kingdom or outside of the United Kingdom, it may be taken to any BMW i Service Authorised Workshop. The repair will be carried out under the terms and conditions of the warranty, provided you can show the vehicle is still within the 24 month warranty period.
The third year of the BMW i Warranty is only valid provided the vehicle is registered in the United Kingdom. However, if you travel abroad and a warranty repair is required, this must be carried out by a BMW i Service Authorised Workshop. Please retain all invoices and any replaced parts (where possible).
On your return to the United Kingdom contact your local BMW i Service Authorised Workshop who will process a warranty claim on your behalf.
BMW i Mobile Care.
BMW i Mobile Care ensures that professional help is available via telephone for any unforeseen events that could affect the vehicle or charging infrastructure and, if needed, provides assistance at your location. In the event of an emergency, assistance is available 24 hours a day, wherever you are in the UK, and help is on hand to either recover your vehicle to the most appropriate BMW i Service Authorised Workshop or to find the most practical way to recharge it.
For Continental Europe it is important to note the charging infrastructure in these countries are different to the UK and could vary from country to country.
Therefore, in order for you to make a journey abroad which is trouble free, it is vital that you research your journey ahead of your trip to ensure there are sufficient and compatible public charging stations, together with ensuring you carry the necessary charging cables before you take Your Vehicle outside the UK.
BMW i Mobile Care will endeavour to support you if you experience charging difficulties or when your Vehicle is immobilised outside the UK, but support may be restricted due to limitations of charging infrastructures and charging equipment.